The “Can Dos” were having a last day before school starts at the “Can Do” Street recreation center. Miss Sue, the center director, called an assembly. When everyone was seated, she announced, “We are so lucky to have our very own weather expert, Mr. Day, from the “Can Do” Street cable network here to speak with us today about weather safety.”
The “Can Dos” all stared at Mr. Day. They had never seen a TV person in real life before, never mind a weatherman!
Mr. Day stepped up to the microphone and said, “Hi “Can Dos”! I want to give you some safety tips so you will always make good decisions about what to do in bad weather. Remember:
- As soon as you hear thunder or see lightening, you should go indoors.
- Never stand under or go near a tree during a thunderstorm.
- Metal and water are two of the best conductors of electricity. Stay out of the water and stay away from tall metal objects and fences. during an thunderstorm.
- If you are caught outdoors in a thunderstorm, get to low ground, avoid hills and mountain tops.
- If you see a tornado or hear a tornado warning, get underground, if possible, or go into a well constructed building. Stay away from windows and head toward inside walls.
When Mr. Day was finished talking the “Can Dos’ all clapped and promised to remember all he told them about being safe during bad weather. Then Mr. Day invited the “Can Dos” to visit him at the cable station! Miss Sue promised that she would arrange a trip to the cable station on a school holiday; she promised to rent a bus and ask a few parents and grandparents to come along.
The “Can Dos’ were thrilled!