Germs are those things that can make you sick. They are so small you need a microscope to see them. They live lots of places. One of the best ways to protect yourself from germs is to wash your hands well and often. Here are a some of the times you should you wash your hands, can you think of any others?
- before eating
- after using the bathroom
- after blowing your nose
- after touching pets
- coming in from playing outside
- before and after visiting someone who is sick
Here is the a good way to wash your hands:
- Use warm water
- Use soap
- Work up lather on both sides of your hands, your wrists, and between your fingers. Wash around your nails. Wash as long as it takes you to sing Happy Birthday slowly.
- Rinse the soap off until your hands look clear and feel clean of soap. Dry your hands with a clean towel or a clean paper towel.
- Be sure to turn the water off.
- If you are using a paper towel, be sure to throw it in the trash when you finish drying your hands.