Each year, every boy and girl attending camp at the Community Center has to take a summer safety course taught by Coach Campbell.
Some of the “Can Dos” don’t see the need to take the course again if they already took it before.
When Coach Campbell came into the room to begin the course, he saw some familiar faces and said, “I recognize some of you from last year’s class. You are probably wondering why you have to take the summer safety class again. Well, before I tell you why, let’s take a pop quiz on summer safety and see how much we remember from last year’s class.”
Coach Campbell handed out the summer safety quiz and the room got quiet while the boys and girls took the quiz. When it was over, Coach had each Can Do exchange his or her quiz with the person sitting next to them for grading.
Well, only one person got all the questions right. You guessed it…Orrie got all the questions right!
Then Coach asked, “Do you see why it is important to attend a summer safety class every year? We may forget an important safety fact from year to year; a safety fact that could save our lives or keep us from getting really sick.”
Here is the quiz. Let’s see how you do.Ask your parent to grade you on your summer safety knowledge.
1. Before going out in the sun, what should we put on?
2. Why should we wear long pants and inclosed shoes when walking in the woods?
3. When do we have to wear a life-jacket?
4. What is the best beverage to drink in the summer?
5. When is it not safe to go swimming?
6. If food has been out in the sun for over an hour, is it still okay to eat?
7. When riding your bike or scooter, what do you have to wear for protection?
8. To be safe around water, what should we learn how to do?
9. If you see or hear someone yelling for help in the water, what should you do?
10. Is holding a kid’s head underwater, just for fun, an okay idea?