Coach continued to talk, saying, “Camp will soon be over and we have to think about how we keep physically fit once the school year begins. I’m here to suggest an activity we can all do together outside and even include our families.
Let’s take a hike on the Saturday after school starts!”
Eulyn raised her hand and asked, “What’s a hike ?”
Coach Campbell answered, “A hike is a long walk in the countryside.
It’s a chance to enjoy being outdoors. While hiking we can see birds and flowers we don’t usually see on “Can Do” Street.”
Coach noticed that Orrie and Mickey were looking kind of sad. “Orrie, Mickey you are going to enjoy this hike. We are going to be using a handicapped accessible trail.
Orrie, you can power your chair, and when you need a break, I will be there to help out,” said Coach. “Mickey, Muggins is going to love a walk in the country with you. He will be great on the trail. Once again, if you need anything, there will be lots of us there to help.”
“A hike sounds like fun! Count me in,” said Hector. Then all the other “Can Dos” chimed in that they wanted to be part of the hike.
“Great, said Coach,”Let’s go over what we need to know to have a good time on our hike.”
- Weather – If it is raining hard, we will reschedule for the following Saturday.
- Pack hooded rain jackets in your backpack, just in case.
- Dress in layers.
- Wear comfortable shoes for walking and pack an extra pair of socks just in case the pair you wear get wet. Who likes soggy socks?
- Staff will carry water, but please help and bring along your water bottles. You need to drink plenty of water.
- There are restrooms and porta johns along the way.
- Pack a light snack that is easy to carry.
Coach reminded the “Can Dos” to be on time…10 am in front of the community center.