Arthur J, Kathy and Annie were so excited as they made their way into the cruise terminal with Grandma Maureen.
Their cruise ship looked so tall and long to them !
The night before their parents saw them off at “Can Do” Airport. They flew to New York City where they spent the night in a hotel. It was their first time on a plane and they loved it! They watched a movie and had a snack on the plane.
When they got in the cruise terminal, they had to go through a security check. Then they had their pictures taken and were given an ID card to wear on board.
When they got on the cruise ship they couldn’t believe their eyes! It was beautiful! Their stateroom had a small sitting area, bathroom, refrigerator, TV and bedroom area with four beds and an outside balcony. Kathy said, “I love this cruise already.”
Everyone quickly unpacked so they could have lunch in the buffet restaurant. For dinner they would go to the dining room. Kathy said, “Grandma, you went over dining room manners, but what do we need to know about eating in the buffet restaurant”? Grandma Maureen thought a moment and said, ” Just use you school cafeteria manners and you will be fine.” Arthur J looked nervous and said, ” Um, my cafeteria manners aren’t so good. Please tell me what I should and shouldn’t do.”
Grandma Maureen sat Arthur J, Kathy and Annie down and went over the following manners for cruise buffet dining:
- Get on line at the end of the line and don’t cut in line
- Don’t jump ahead of someone as they are selecting their food; wait your turn
- Take only what you think you can eat;you can always go back for more if you are still hungry
- Once you put food on your plate you cannot put it back on the serving dish
- After you get what you want, wait for each other and we will all find a table together
- If you go back for seconds, get a clean plate; don’t use the plate you just finished eating from
- Don’t look for napkins and utensils; they will be at the table when we get there
- Don’t look for something to drink; when we sit down the waiter will get us what we want to drink
The “Can Dos” were amazed to see all the foods they had to choose from in the cruise buffet…salads, fruits, sandwiches, hot meals, breads, cakes and cookies. They tried a little bit of everything and then went out to the ice cream bar and got cones.
After lunch they signed up for a crafts activity and Grandma Maureen took a nap. After the craft session, they all went swimming and then back to their room to change for dinner.
Soon it was time to use their cruise dining room manners. They were seated with a grandma and grandpa traveling with their grandchildren, Billy and Julie who turned out to be around the same age as Kathy, Annie and Arthur J . By the time dinner was over, they were all friends. The kids went to an evening movie in the kids cruise camp and Grandma Maureen went to a show in the theater with her new friends from dinner.
That night, as the kids were falling asleep, they all thanked Grandma Maureen. Arthur J spoke for Kathy and Annie when he said, I can’t wait until tomorrow. Taking a cruise is the best!”
To Be Continued…
Share and Enjoy